Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies


I love contrasting flavours. Which is why I love Thai food and how they master to combine and harmonise the four flavours of sweet, salty, spicy and sour... I used to be an absolute sweet tooth when I was a kid but as I grew older, I still love them but not to the extreme and to contrast it with salt.... Yums!!! I cut down on the sugar for this recipe and also used whole wheat flour, so it'll also be filling.

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup water

coarse grain sea salt for garnish

- Whisk the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Then add in the chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar briskly with the canola oil and water until smooth and incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture to sugar mixture then stir until just combine and no flour is visible. It will feel oily, you can sprinkle a little flour to not make it so oily but don't over do it. I think that's what will give it it's crispiness. It won't be so bad after refrigeration.
- Cover with plastic wrap (I keep it in a container because I don't like wasting plastic like that). Refrigerate dough for at least 12 hours up to 24 hours.
- Pre heat oven to 150 C. 
- Spoon out the dough (I'm real simple, I just roll it up into a ball then squish them flat.. I got no cookie cutter in my house)
- Recommend freezing the balls of dough for 10 minutes before baking to help retain it's shape.
- Sprinkle coarse salt on them then bake for 12-13 minutes. After that, I place it on the highest tray and increase the heat to 190 C to make it crispy. You would have to judge when it's best to take them out but you can see it's crispy texture.
- Recommended to eat them on the day itself. The following day, it will lose it's crispiness :( but still tastes good






Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Unfortunately, it only retains it's crispiness for the day


adopted recipe from Vogue

Comments